Sunday, March 19, 2006

An anniversary of a lifechanging event


I know this blog is supposed to be more about Lindy, and not about us, but I feel compelled to write something about this, because I truly believe it is part of the journey.

Two years ago today, I was suddenly diagnosed with a very large benign brain tumor. I was immediately placed in ICU and had brain surgery less than two days later. Thankfully, the surgery was a success and my recovery was speedy.

During my recovery, I spent a lot of time thinking about what could have been, and how blessed I was to have a second chance. During that time, I knew I needed to make some changes in my life, work on being a better person, and pursue unfulfilled dreams.

The biggest unfulfilled dream in my life, was my desire to be a Mom. Don and I had been on the fence for so long about what to do about having a family. We had been trying for so long, without success. We had talked about adoption, but hadn't really pursued it. A dear friend, Megan Marchese, kept saying, "You could adopt a baby from China." She had told me that multiple times. First, when her older sister brought a baby home from China. Now, her younger sister was just starting the process. This time, when Meg said it, my eyes and ears were truly opened. There was a new clarity. The seed she had been planting for so long, took root. It wasn't long until it started to grow, and before I knew it, Don and I were talking and talking about it more.

Another dear friend, Jaime Bailey, gave us an ultimatum. On a road trip to Oklahoma City over the fourth of July, she told us to make up our minds and get our paperwork going by my birthday, August 6th. Well...with the seed that already had taken root, Jaime's ultimatum, and prayer, we finally hopped off the fence!

I believe God's timing is perfect, even when we don't think so. I believe I had to walk through the "valley of the shadow of death" before this journey to Lindy could begin. So, it is with joy that I celebrate the second anniversary of this lifechanging event!!!

Love,
Lisa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lifechanging event for many people. I will never forget when Don called and said you had a brain tumor and were being admitted. It couldn't be true...you had planned on meeting us for dinner after your doctor's appointment. I was in shock. That event also helped me to be aware of how special each day is. I love you both, and am so anxious to love Lindy too. I am proud of you for being so brave and patient through this whole journey. I know you will be wonderful parents. Lindy will be lucky!

Anonymous said...

Lis,
Although your precious body was bearing (and showing) the physical effects of the trauma you had been through, I only knew that to me you were never more beautiful, nor could I have loved you more! Through all this God protected you; you were showered with an amazing and overwhelming outpouring of love from so many people in so many ways; and the journey to Lindy had begun. Life changing indeed (for all of us)! Love, Mom